The White Ribbon Alliance for Safe Motherhood is a grassroots movement that builds alliances, strengthens capacity, influences policies, harnesses resources and inspires action to save the lives of women and newborns around the world.
The White Ribbon Alliance is working to create a world where:
- It is a woman's* basic human right to achieve optimal health care throughout pregnancy and childbirth for herself and her newborns.
- Women are empowered to demand quality, safe and respectful motherhood services and to help other women to do the same.
- Women and newborns have access to essential and life-saving motherhood services and information.
- Women and men come together as active members in the safe motherhood movement, with the knowledge to make decisions that promote safe motherhood within their own families and communities.
- Communities work together to address the effects of poverty, HIV/AIDS, armed conflict, violence against women and children, and gender inequities on safe motherhood.
- Governments set policies in collaboration with women, their communities and other stakeholders to implement programs in support of safe motherhood.
*This includes all women of childbearing age.