Founded in 1987, VRA conducts six programs to address the legal needs of those asylum seekers, refugees and immigrants in greatest need throughout Vermont. In 2007, we assisted 1559 torture survivors and non US citizens with their legal needs. VRA’s six programs are:
1. Services and advocacy for detained asylum seekers/immigrants.
2. Immigration assistance for non-detained asylum seekers/immigrants.
3. Work to address and minimize the effects of criminal issues for non U.S. citizens.
4. Advocacy regarding local and national legislation and policies that affect our clients, including educating US citizens about regional, national and international torture and immigration issues.
5. Legal orientation and general assistance for asylum seekers seeking refugee status in Canada.
6. Survivors of Torture Program