The first St. Joseph School was an old two-room public school, then situated halfway between the present school building and Highway 66. Father Robert Kalt, OFM and the Franciscan Brothers built the present school building between 1920 and 1922. The sisters of St. Francis of Perpetual Adoration came to San Fidel to teach. When the building was completed, the Sisters began teaching and living in what is still the main school building. The school continued as a public school until 1948 when the Dixon case made it impossible for the Sisters to teach in public schools. St. Joseph School from then on has been a private parochial school. The Franciscan Sisters taught until 1956 when the Ursuline Sisters from Maple Mount, Kentucky took over the teaching. The last Ursuline Sister, Sr. Michelle left in 2002. Today there are about 90 students in grades Pre-School through 8th grade.