Songmakers is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization which strives to:
(1) Improve and develop the capabilities of its members in the understanding, performance and creation of folk music through the rediscovery and preservation of the American heritage in folklore and music.
(2) Instruct and educate the community as to the values and importance of folk music as a part of the cultural heritage of the United States.
(3) Inform, instruct and educate the public regarding all phases of folk music as a part of the cultural heritage of the United States.
(4) Preserve and perpetuate the traditions of the American heritage in folk music and folklore by stimulating and assisting its members in the creation of new music and art in these fields.
(5) Disseminate materials, literature and recordings to its members which will assist them in improving and developing their capabilities with respect to folk music.