Seward Child Care has been fostering the development of the whole child through participatory democracy, anti-bias skills, and environmental awareness since 1973. Children, teacher, and parents work together to create a democratic environment.
What Makes Seward Child Care Center Unique?
* Parent-governed—the school was created by parents and is still governed by parents cooperatively
* Teacher run—the teachers collectively run the school (without a director) so all decisions are made with the children’s needs first.
* Democratic participation-- the Teacher Collective and Parent Cooperative allow children to experience democracy firsthand.
* Child-initiated learning—children learn to make decisions and choices within a safe and structured daily routine.
* An approach to conflict that encourages social skills and peaceful ways to resolve disputes.