P.O. Box 29643
Washington, DC 20017
Home First provides community-supported, intergenerational housing programs for at-risk senior citizens living in Northeast Washington, DC. Through three group homes, Home First is able to provide affordable and direct housing for up to 20 seniors. Two homes provide a shared living experience for those who are independent and able to care for themselves. The third home is licensed to provide assistance to the residents in areas such as:
• Arranging medical care
• Medication oversight
• Meal preparation and assistance with personal care
• Opportunities for social interaction and recreation.
Home First started 30 years ago as Christian Communities Group Homes Advisory Board when 10 churches in Washington, DC saw a need to help low income seniors find affordable living alternatives. As a result, the churches developed a partnership with the DC Office on Aging which owned three homes on a single campus in Northeast Washington and began operating group homes for the low income seniors. Christian Communities Group Homes became a subsidiary of Seabury Resources for Aging in 2000 and in 2011 changed its name to Home First.
Home First’s Age-In-Place® started 14 years ago when the staff began to reach out to assist older neighbors with their home maintenance. The program grew with a paid staff coordinator and many dedicated volunteers and now reaches out to low income seniors in Wards 4 and 5. The services help people remain safely in their own homes and neighborhoods as they age.
The Age-In-Place® (AIP) program is a free service available to all persons 60 years and older, of low to moderate income, who are living in their homes in Washington, DC’s Ward 4 and 5. Services provided by volunteer teams include:
• Yard work - lawn mowing, hedge trimming, raking leaves, and making sure that there are clear pathways from the door to the sidewalk.
• House Cleaning - making sure food preparation areas are clean, that bathrooms are tidy, and that the seniors have clear walkways from room to room.
• Painting - as long as the seniors provide the paint, we will help them paint different areas of their home, from bathrooms and living rooms to railings and back porches.