The Salvation Army celebrated its 100th year of continuing operation in Durham in 2010. Over that century, it has responded to the community’s needs with a diverse range of services. It functioned as the City’s Department of Social Services from 1914 to 1918. It has provided shelter to the homeless and to women in crisis; taught English to newcomers from Europe and Central America; provides neighbors in need help with rent, utilities, food, and holiday gifts. The Salvation Army Boys & Girls Club began as a Red Shield Club for Boys in 1937 and later affiliated with the Boys & Girls Clubs of America. It will celebrate its 75th anniversary in 2012.