The mission of MCDC is to foster economic development in the Hispanic community of Southwest Detroit, known as Mexicantown, creating skilled positions for residents of the neighborhood, and providing opportunities of small business development by local entrepreneurs.
MCDC is a not-for-profit, Michigan, 501(c)(3) corporation formed in 1989.
1) Promotion of the Mexicantown restaurant, shopping, and cultural district to audiences across southeastern Michigan;
2) Cultural programs and activities that educate and enrich the lives of residents of the neighborhood and the southeast Michigan region;
3) Physical improvements and maintenance in the Mexicantown district - including parks and streetscapes;
4) Entrepreneurial training and incubation to increase the economic self-sufficiency of neighborhood residents
5) Reuse of vacant land and development of the Mexicantown International Welcome Center and Mercado (Incubator Program).