The Landmark Theatre was designed by Thomas W. Lamb and was christened Loew’s State Theatre on February 18, 1928.
Like so many other great movie palaces (including six razed in Syracuse), the theatre’s attendance began dropping steadily in the ‘50s. by 1975, it seemed that the pride of Syracuse would fall prey to the wrecker’s ball. However, in 1977, a group of concerned citizens banded together to form the Syracuse Landmark Theatre, or SALT. SALT had the local landmark placed on the National Register of Historic Places, opening the door to government funding.
By the end of 1977, the group had acquired the theater and began restoring its original splendor. Impressed with the dedication of the SALT volunteers and staff, New York State’s Parks Commission began offering ongoing funding, as have Onondaga County and the City of Syracuse.