Historic Church Marker NC- 143 INSCRIPTION In 1805 a group of African-Americans, desiring greater freedom of worship, withdrew from Asbury Methodist Episcopal Church to form a separate congregation. Led by Peter Spencer and William Anderson, they established what was then known as the African M. E. Church. This was Delaware’s first church to be organized by African-Americans. The original house of worship was replaced by a new brick structure on the site in 1870. It was formally renamed Ezion Methodist Episcopal Church in 1885, and was rebuilt the following year after a devastating fire. On February 14, 1971, the congregation officially merged with Mt. Carmel Church to form Ezion-Mt. Carmel United Methodist Church. Construction of the present building was commenced in 1973 and was formally consecrated on April 28, 1974.