The Dead River Area Historical Society is a non-profit organization, incorporated in the state of Maine in 1979 for the purpose of preserving and promoting interest in the history of the Dead River Area. Artifacts, manuscripts photographs, etc. have been donated or loaned from interested townspeople and descendants of the Dead River Areas. Collections from 1850- with all of the artifacts given from the original families of the Dead River Region. Displays include a collection of old carpentry and logging tools, china, glass, church organ, furniture from native families, a complete schoolroom, a memorial room to the "lost" towns of Flagstaff and Dead River, the lineage of several native families, and a host of memorabilia from native homesteads. The museum is open every weekend in July and August, Labor Day Weekend and year-round by apointment.