Research and lobby group
– Providing the first ever testimony to Congress about celiac disease and the need for increased funding for celiac research. This effort helped spur the need for the NIH Consensus Conference on Celiac Disease;
– Providing technical assistance to House and Senate staff on the needs of individuals with celiac disease in preparation for congressional action on the landmark labeling legislation.
– Developing and executing a grassroots strategy to advocate for passage of the Food Allergen Labeling and Consumer Protection Act;
– Providing guidance to food manufacturers on requirements of the new labeling law;
– Providing assistance to federal regulatory agencies – FDA, USDA, and the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid – on issues relating to celiac disease.